Friday, February 11, 2011

Third Round of 2010/11 Complex Cloth

I have to admit that I haven't gotten much done in the studio the last few weeks. We've had a glorious break in the weather with daytime temps in the upper 50s and 60s and lots of sunshine. The nights are still quite cool, getting down to the teens and twenties with lots of frost. So I've been trying to spend as much time outside as possible before the 'big storm' that's supposed to hit on Monday and break this pattern of weather nirvana. *sigh*


I did spend some time in the studio working on this cloth for the next round in the Complex Cloth Round Robin I'm participating in. Another beautiful piece of dying by Jacque and Gisela. The previous layer was accomplished with snow dying and black dye, so I guess I had snow on the brain when I opened this package. Much of the patterning on the cloth reminded me of snowflakes and I just couldn't get that image out of my mind, so I decided to define it with more 'literal' snowflake images. I used a screen from Lyric Kinard's design collection and screened with Jacquard's Lumiere Metallic Silver.


I'm really happy with the outcome of this...was thinking this would make a lovely curtain or room divider if it was a little bigger...


Here's some playing around with different colors trying to decide which one(s) to use. Hmmm...in the end going with a simple color seemed best for this technicolor cloth. It's now off to the next person and I'm waiting to see what's passed to me next. So far I am loving the challenge of working on these diverse and beautiful pieces of cloth...

No comments: