Thursday, April 28, 2011

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Fabric from the Complex Cloth Round Robin

I'd forgotten to post a photo of my fabric which arrived home in February. Here it is. Everybody did a great job and for now it is hanging in the studio until I can decide whether or not I want to cut it up!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

IFJM - 4/1/11

Ancient Signs Book Slideshow

For a page by page slideshow of the book, click on the photo above...

This Book Class Was A Kick!

Trying to get caught up on all the stuff I've been doing lately. Last month I took a book class with Albie Smith in her beautiful Jacksonville, Oregon studio. We made this...what she calls 'Sculpture or Book'. I think it's a little of both!

Each page has a small pocket on the left hand side for a tag, photo, whatever you want to put in there. And I love the fact that when you set it down on a smooth surface it naturally wants to spiral into a circle. I've handled this book a lot in the last few days and it never ceases to me make me smile. Definitely need to make more of these.

We used Stonehenge papers and paste paint made with Daniel Smith colored gessos and fluid acrylics. First we painted the pages' backgrounds. These photos don't do justice to the shimmer from the gold gesso we used. Once the pages were dry we added stamping and stenciling with the fluid acrylics. Final assembly was with archival double sided tape.

Last Piece from Complex Cloth Round Robin

Last week I finally sent off the final piece from the Complex Cloth Round Robin started last year. I ended up holding this piece for an extra two weeks as I had no idea of what to do with it. It was very monochromatic and had lots of things going on in the background, no clear ideas about color came to me. I figured the only way to go forward was to be BOLD. The photo above shows the fabric as it came to me...

I jumped right in and began by cutting stencils and using DeColorant discharge paste to get rid of some of the muddy color in the center of the piece. After washing I went back into the discharged spots with SetaSilk paint mixed with Pebeo's special thickener. One thing I should mention, the thickener has a jell-like consistency and tended to evaporate very quickly making a yucky clumpy mess in my mixing cup. I wonder if it is just sanitary hand cleaner jell in a jar, because it behaves quite the same, as I've used that with SetaSilk in the past to thicken it. After the SetaSilk I moved onto several colors of Jacquard Lumiere Metallics in Citrine, Russet, Burnt Orange, Copper, Gold, Bronze, etc.

After several trips to the design wall, adding more here and there, I decided it needed a shadow focal point, so I cut more stencils of seeds and pods and then stenciled them sparingly with Red and Gold Lumiere.

By this time we were nearing the end of the month, and I was feeling the uncertainly of whether to keep going with it or call it finished -- I am the last person to add to the cloth before it goes to its owner.

I decided that instead of going too far, I would stop and send it on to Jill and let her decide if it needed more. I heard from her last week and she is delighted with the fabric. I am so glad! Now I'm waiting to see what she ends up doing with it!